Name:
Location: Florence, Tuscany, Italy

Thursday, September 28, 2006

day three..

I'm done with day three!! Yay!

Today went pretty well. At least, I feel good about it. If I get in or not, I'm proud of what I did today, for the most part. It was kinda different for me, so... good!

The test today was to paint according to a theme given by the examiners. We were given a hand out with a rendering of the facade of the Florence airport. It has one, very large window and two mirrors on either side in panels. Our goal was to create a design that would be appropriate to place on the panels and window. This particular exam has been used in the past as a two-day project, back when the exams were more like 10 days long instead of 4. So, there was a lot to do and little time to do it in. They made it clear that they wanted a smaller painted "sketch" of the full design, and a larger detailed painting of a part of the design. If we could do more, great, but mostly just try and get at least the basics done. I don't think anyone did more than just those two requirements.

I decided to paint a symbol of hope for the travelers. I don't know if it was successful, but I think it turned out okay :)

This is the bozetto (small painting sketch) of my concept. I spent most of my time on it, which I shouldn't have. I'm not upset with my decision to be so detailed in it. I feel that the design wouldn't have been as effective had i done only a larger version of the window or the panels.

Anyway, here it is. The middle would be stained glass and the two side panels are painted.

Here is the detail of the center. I think it turned out more "wedding" than "toga" but everyone said it looks fine.. hahah...


And here is the left side panel detail. I had less than an hour to do this painting...
For putting it together at the last possible moment, I think it was okay.




So that's that. :) Tomorrow is the fourth and final day. Can't believe it's almost over.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Susan! It's a beautiful concept!! Love it! I'm glad the exams are going as well as they can. Good luck with today!! Miss you!

9/29/2006 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home